Monday, May 2, 2011

One Week Until Departure

Hello All,
So I am officially leaving for Cape Town, South Africa in a week. My Visa has been approved, I have a place to live, and the Red Cross War Memorial Hospital is expecting me soon (now all I have to do is finish up a few papers for school and pack my bags)! I decided to start this blog because rumor has it that I won't have great internet connection while I'm there (which means limited facebook and email time) and thought this would be a good way to keep everyone who is interested updated on my whereabouts.
So in case you don't already know, I'll give you a general overview of my trip and what it's all about. I leave for Cape Town on May 10th. Through a study abroad program called Connect-1-2-3 and some connections from Wheelock, I will be spending my time (5 days a week) volunteering my child life skills at the Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital. Basically, I will be working with children and families who are experiencing the many stresses of being in the hospital. Using therapeutic play and preparation techniques, I'll work with children to help reduce stress and increase coping skills. I'll be doing this all summer and returning to the states at the end of August.
So far this is about the best detailed description I can give. Once I get there I'l be sure to give an update on the unit I'm working in and some of my experiences. But as for now, I'm just going with the flow!
I can't believe I'm actually leaving so soon! I've been planning this trip for so long, and now it's finally becoming a reality.
So, I think that's it for now. I'll be sure to add another post once I get there!
I miss everyone already!
<3 Cammy

No comments:

Post a Comment