Tuesday, May 24, 2011

2 Weeks Down


Hello!!!
            Sorry it’s been a while since my last blog, I've been super busy! I am finally starting to feel settled in South Africa, I’ve made some new friends, I’m feeling comfortable at the hospital, and I’m starting to get a hang of living in Cape Town.
            I have a new roommate named Francesca who is from Scotland and is doing an internship in a school, and I’ve met some other Connect people as well! So far everyone seems really great! We've done lots of fun things together. On Wednesday we went on a 2-3 hour hike up Lion’s Head Mountain and had a picnic at the top. The weather was perfect and the view was breathtaking. On Friday night we had a braai, which is what they call a cookout or BBQ here, and then the next day we hiked up Table Mountain, which was a slightly more intense hike; 5 hours of hiking to be exact (four of which were completely uphill).  At the top there was a cute little café, and we had some lunch and coffee, then we took the cable car down because the wind was super intense and it was starting to get dark. On Sunday, we went to Stellenbosch and Franschhoek for some wine, cheese, and chocolate tastings!
            As far as the hospital goes, things are going very well! A few of my original patients have been discharged or transferred, but I still have most of the same patients from my first day, and we’ve decided to add a couple cuties (who may not actually need child life services) to our list. I’ve seen a lot of great progress from most of my patients and I’ve also had the chance to work closely with the palliative care and pain management team in planning their care. It's been pretty cool to be able to really be a part of the team and see how it all works! 
            More updates to come. As of now, this weekend we are planning to go to Robben Island, High Tea, and this meat market where you apparently choose your fresh meat, they cook it in front of you, then you go sit on the grass and eat it with sides that you bring from home…we’ll see how that goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment